Pages

Friday, January 23, 2009

Collecting

As I have mentioned in my profile, I am a collector. I am best at collecting DUST, FAT CELLS and LINT! I believe this all started when I was a child. We didn't have a lot of money, but I collected things "off of the land", such as snail shells (yuk! - I can't explain that one), 4 leaf clovers, arrowheads, lightning bugs, leaves, acorns, red magnolia seeds, rocks and seashells, probably nothing (except shells, maybe) that would qualify me to be featured in one of Country Living's books on collecting. Collecting doesn't have to cost a dime, which is probably how IT ALL BEGAN for me, so long ago!

When I was selecting the name of my blog, it was almost called "Tiquin', Tweakin' & Freakin'" because I'm usually doing one of the three. It still may be named that, if the people from a certain movie by a similar name as my blog, get their panties in a wad. When my daughter was little, I use to go tiquin' to restore my sanity after hubby had been away on LONG business trips...not military long, but long! One day, my Sweet Baby, asked me if she could go TO TIQUIN' with me. I had to explain to her, that TIQUIN' is not a place, but it is a quest for antiques or special treasures. So, I'm kind of like Indiana Jones of Tiquin' and Fleaquin' in search of my treasures!

So, while on my holiday hiatus, I was doing what I do best, tiquin'/shopping/stim-a-la-tin the economy (whatever you want to call it), and I came across a few things that I collect. I thought I'd share them with you.

I collect angels (old, new and friends qualify too ;O). Today, I'm focusing on the vintage angels of the non-human variety. I think their faces are precious and they couldn't look sweeter, even if they tried. I even adopt those who others may not love, such as this one.

You see, she's missing her wings, but she only cost $1, and I couldn't resist her. If she were real, she would just need a hug, I can just tell! And she's all puckered up, waiting for a kiss!

Then, there's the April angel. I also have a thing for rabbits and Easter (heaven help me!), so this sweetie had to come home. She wasn't as good of a deal, but her spaghetti trim was in tact, and she has part of her label on her bottom - both good things to look for when shopping for them or antiques in general!

This pair of sweeties were dirty, and needed a little bath with a little soapy water and Soft Scrub. (not endorsing - just telling you what I used!) Again, for a $1 for the PAIR, I couldn't leave them there! They needed adopting too!
Aside from angels, I also collect sweet girls. There were 2 of these, so I feel a tad guilty for leaving 1 there (like they're real & have feelings - I know), but she was just like this one, but her little flower was slightly chipped. This one was reasonable too, but not as good of a deal as the angels. She cleaned up nicely too.

And finally, I bought this angel and her little cherub because it reminded me of the ones I used at my wedding many moons ago (minus the little cherub ;O)...that might have sent the wrong message!) They needed to come home with me too - I just know they did!

And that's all of my sweet angel and girl purchases over the holidays, but I'll show you the rest of my angel collection before Valentine's Day. Thanks for dropping by and have a great weekend!

45 comments:

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Girl I loved all your sweet little Angels..and this is so funny because yesterday while cleaning my bedroom I was cleaning my Angels and did't even know I had a collection until then..don't know how and when I started this collection..but as a kid I also collected some weird things because we did't have money to spare..I had a skate key collection..and I used old bullet casings for my tea set...great post..oh and I also collect dust have a HUGE collection of that..hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Anonymous said...

Oh, I loved this post! My grandmother had several of those angels.

santamaker said...

Hey, the way I look at it, you can never have too many angels... I am a collector as well. I wonder if people who are collectors are so because they didn't have a lot growing up and now they are trying to make up for it in some weird way? Who knows...

Terri Steffes said...

I have an angel collection, too! I seem to start my collection when someone gives me something, say a bell, then someone sees I have a bell and thinks I collect them. I have David Winter cottages, bells, angels and Snowbabies all started that way!

Kristen said...

How cute these are!

Indiana Jones of Tiquin' and Fleaquin... you are so funny!

Pug1 said...

The angels are so cute!! I have a collection of Eastern Europeon figurines.....they are in boxes at the moment until we move....we are in the process of buying a home and should close on March 13.....so at some point I'll feature them on my blog! CHEERS!!Michele

Pug1 said...

oops spelling on the previous note
"European"

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Hey, have a perfect pair of kissing angels too. (they share shelf space with pix of my here and not most loved ones)
I used to collect windchimes..each time the numbers are good and 'music' can be heard for miles away, Mother Nature snaps them away from me and tosses them somewhere in the next county!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I love your possible title. I can totally relate. I love that you collect fat cells too! I have tried to pass on that collection, but you know, the value is in the desire. NO ONE ELSE wants them!

Lynette said...

Love your angel collection - I have a pair like the ones that look like they are kissing somewhere . . .I need to fine them!! Maybe mom has them, hummm??

My thing is buying in duplicates - you'd think I was a child of the depression - I've heard that is what they did as they grew up - bought in twos? I tend to buy two of everything and don't really know why??

The Raggedy Girl said...

I love all your sweet angels. And I love that you are helping us all out by being out there spending your extra cash and helping the whole economy. Way to go girl. It is now patriotic to shop... do I love this. Hubby watch out I am headed out to do my part!
Roberta Anne

Kat said...

What a great collection, and I agree we can never have too many angels! I'll follow your blog whatever you call it, just love your sense of humor! Kathy

Melissa Miller said...

~Pretty angels.

Loved this post.
TOO CUTE! :)

squawmama said...

Tar this was a super post... I love all your sweet angles and little girlies... I have a January Angel made like yours but decorated different... It was given to me when I was 10 by one of my Aunties... She has long been gone but her memory is alive in that little angel... Thanks for the memories... Love YA

(((HUGS)))
Donna

Bo said...

Oh goody...Tar is posting again! Now I know you have beeen busy collecting angels & lil girls...You
don't surprise me at all by collecting the ones others leave behind with your kind & loving heart & soul! Huh? there's a movie getting their panties in a wad over your blog name??? "splain this to us... Hugs, ♥ Bo

Anonymous said...

Hia thanks for visiting my blog. I felt proud that I knew what a tar heel was from my daughter havig brought me back a brass one from NC in the Summer. :-)

What lovely little angels. She was obviously a little too young for her wings. :-) Maybe you need a bell collection to be sure she gets hers eventually? LOL I do like angels. I did one mostly each day in December.

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Those are all adorable! I don't really collect anything. Well I have a thing for vases for guess that would be what I have the most of. Come to think if it I even went today to TJ Maxx to look for none other than ...another vase! LOL

rebel said...

I like your angels collection. I love to look at people's collections, they are always so interestin'.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

What a fun post! You are so funny! I enjoyed seeing your precious angels and little girl. laurie

tam said...

Aww Penny I love your collection! Very sweet! I also collected things like you did when I was a kid and kept them in a box I thought of as my treasure box. Now I have such a hard time controling the urge to collect! UUGHH! But I do still treat myself now and then and have some cool collections-maybe someday I will start posting about some of them. Of course I have a few things on my blog already-a small part of them anyways. Have a wonderful weekend girl!~Tam:D

Paula@SweetPea said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I like to collect things, too. My mother has kissing angels that are very similar to yours.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Tar...Love your collection! My collection as a litttle girl sounded something like yours...rocks, leaves, etc. Your angels are precious!...Debbie

Jewel Sauls said...

I love all your little angels and that cute little Southern Belle! I did click on Carolina Mama's blog but don't know how to be added to her list of NC/SC bloggers. Do I just leave her a comment?

Beth in NC said...

Ok, I want to know WHERE you store all of your collectables?!?!?! And where do you store all of those Christmas decorations?!?!?

I think the faces on those figurines are precious.

You really are too funny!
b

Lynette said...

Hey Tar - I've passed on a sweet award to you. Come around and pick it up when you get a chance.
Hope you're having a good weekend. See you soon!

Unknown said...

Oh My fav is the the little Brown Belle. She is adorable!

~Liz

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Oh, we have something else in common! I collect angels, too ~ hence my name ~ Angelic Accents!!;0)

That little first angel is really doin' it for me today!

Happy Pink Saturday!
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Envoy-ette said...

How thoughtful of you to give those precious angels a home! I'm sure they are very happy!

Kathleen Ellis said...

Heavenly!!!
Happy weekend!
;-D

Dee said...

i have to really watch it or I start collecting things.....cause I can't stop, I try not to start.
But now I'm into apothecary jars. I saw them on a blog, was it this one?

Justabeachkat said...

So many beautiful angels. My Mom collects angels too. Her Christmas tree is covered in them.

Hugs!
Kat

Beth in NC said...

Hey Sista! While you're collecting, come collect your two awards sitting on my blog.

Love ya,
b

santamaker said...

Hey Gurl... just wanted to thank you for popping in !

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid the only things I collect are pens and notebooks. I don't have anywhere to show off ornamental things so tend to avoid them.

I do however have my eye (and initials) on a set of Royal Crown Derby animals that MIL has on her mantle piece. I keep oohing and ahhing over them. I'm working on having them given to me when 'that' time comes.

Those angels are pretty.

bj said...

Oh, Tar...I love every one of them...especially the wingless little one!
xo bj

Anonymous said...

Love your collections!!!
Very pretty!!!
Thanks for coming by my blog!!
Diane

Jessica said...

What pretty angels!

Anonymous said...

Hey girl, glad to see ya back, I've missed you. Love your angel collection. I have a dust collection too. Do you think it is worth anything. :)


Hugs,
Chris

PS That was me that deleted a comment on your last post. I posted this comment on it. DUH!!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Those are soooo sweet! I have a couple antiqued ones like you have. They were my mothers when she was little.
I used to collect angles, I gave many away, but still have a few. I had to "cut down".
Thanks BTW for being a "follower" I know you have been up there for a few weeks. I appreciate that! I apologize that I havent commented before now....but I have been reading. I LOVE your blog! I am going to add myself as a follower.
Oh, on today's giveaway, go and comment under the giveaway post so you can win! Good Luck!

Ok, I am off to read more post.

Amber said...

My first visit to you blog and I loved it...love the way you write!

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

I'm new to your blog, but I saw your NC logo on another blog. I am from NC too. I also collect angels and I have the ones that are kissing. Aren't they adorable?
Great blog! Love & blessings!

kari and kijsa said...

Those are absolutely adorable! Thanks so much for entering our contest!

blessings, kari & kijsa

Anonymous said...

I wanted to come by and thank you for the sweet comment that you left at susan's. I enjoyed your post...vicky

Anonymous said...

I wanted to come by and thank you for the sweet comment that you left at susan's. I enjoyed your post...vicky

Anonymous said...

I wanted to come by and thank you for the sweet comment that you left at susan's. I enjoyed your post...vicky